Opened in 1871 as the Hudson River State Hospital (HRSH) for the Insane, Hudson River Psychiatric Center is located in Poughkeepsie, NY. The landmark property is notable for its High Victorian Gothic architecture, especially its majestic Administration Building, designed by Frederick Clarke Withers according to the Kirkbride plan, a design for mental asylums based on the principle of Moral Treatment. Hudson River State Hospital was the first institution to use the Kirkbride plan, creating a sense of grandeur, privacy and curative environments for patients. The grounds were designed by Central Park landscape designers Calvert Vaux and Frederick Law Olmstead.Construction began in 1868 and when it opened three years later, housed 40 patients. In 1952, it housed almost 6,000; and by 1976, as psychiatric treatment moved to medication management and community-centered care, the number of patients dwindled to fewer than 1,800. In 1994, Hudson River State Hospital merged with Harlem Valley State Hospital, and closed in 2003. In 1989 it was added to the National Registry of Historic Places. Much of the male wing was destroyed in a 2007 fire and what remains is steadily deteriorating. After many years on the market, Hudson River State Hospital was sold in November 2013.