Founded by May Bennett in 1890 in Irvington, NY, Bennett College (earlier known as Bennett School for Girls) moved to a 22-acre campus in Millbrook, NY, in 1907, and operated there through 1978. Enrollment in 1907 was 120 girls with 29 faculty members and the course of study ran six years – four years of high school and two years of junior college. Young women were educated in art, fashion design, equine studies and domestic science. Generations of women from prominent families received their education there. The main building on the campus is Halcyon Hall, built in 1893 in the Queen Anne style and designed by James Ware. The structure was originally built as a luxury hotel but was taken over by the college when they purchased the property in 1907. As coeducation came into vogue, the fortunes of Bennett College fell. To keep up with the times, the Kettering Science Center was built in 1972, but rather than improving the school’s finances, it caused further financial burdens that resulted in the school’s bankruptcy. Halcyon Hall too fell victim to the forces of time and nature. With no maintenance, it was frequently flooded and subjected to the ravages of weather. It has been steadily deteriorating and plans for redevelopment have led nowhere. The building was slated for demolition in 2011 and 2012 but remains standing as of this writing (January 2014).
UPDATE: (May 2014) The property has been sold again and is once more destined for demolition READ MORE